Tape Strip Holders

JohnSL

Re: Tape Strip Holders

Post by JohnSL »

GilchristT wrote:Just saying hello and letting you know you've someone else very interested in this thread.

It seems like you have things in hand apart from John VERY selfishly breaking his leg :-) but if there's anything I can do to help drop me a line.
Thanks. Yes, that was definitely selfish of me, and now I'm paying the price. :D Seriously, though, I have a doctor appointment in about 2 weeks, and with any luck, I'll be able to start walking. The main blocker for moving forward is making a trip to pick up a used injection molding machine that is much more capable. I'm guessing I'll be able to fly again within a month. And then I'll start making the production molds. I'm really looking forward to that.
Last edited by JohnSL on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

> I'm guessing I'll be able to fly again within a month

Would you by any chance attend the Maker Fair Bay Area (May 19-21, http://makerfaire.com/bay-area/)?
JohnSL

Post by JohnSL »

JuKu wrote:Would you by any chance attend the Maker Fair Bay Area (May 19-21, http://makerfaire.com/bay-area/)?
I had not planned on going. Are you going to be there? If so, that might get me to go, assuming I get the OK from my doctor.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Yes, I'll be there, that's why I asked. :)
JohnSL

Post by JohnSL »

JuKu wrote:Yes, I'll be there, that's why I asked. :)
Cool. I'm working on going. I have some different ideas on how to get there. Flying may be out, so I may end up driving (or rather my wife would drive since I probably won't be able to drive yet). A couple more questions. Are you going to have a booth there?

And, for everyone else, are other people going to be there? I have a 3D printed prototype that I'll definitely bring. And I'll see what else I can get done before the show.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

This thread is already long (and has a wrong subject for this), so let's discuss the faire at http://www.liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtop ... f=9&t=5956.
garyeb

Post by garyeb »

I'm in the final stages of calibrating my LitePlacer and need to make a decision about building/buying a tape holder system. Some very good work out there which is great for this community. I have another design provided by a gracious LitePlacer user which I am considering as well as John's very elegant design and Malte's very solid work from last year. Given all the effort from John and the community, my preference would be John's approach but we haven't had a recent update (MakerFaire is a good excuse... :)).

@johnSL: Have you committed to production? Any pricing hints? If you are making them for sale, any idea when they can be ordered? If not, the files on YouMagine seem fairly current. Would you recommend building from those? I would prefer to buy a set from you or @juKu if he puts them in his store.

@mrandt: I think your design is quite functional and far superior to the double-sided tape default which is proving to be quite maddening to set up (vision calibration is hard to stabilize across different black and clear tray sizes) and not amenable to the fast place option. Has your experience with your design proved to be workable solution? I have estimates for your printing feeder blocks with lids for about 10 USD each which isn't bad at all.

Thanks for an update.
mike58

Post by mike58 »

Simple and fresh feeder;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpcUNTBp_SA
I never saw something more simple and accurate....
slotted hole and 3 springs do the magic with a servo and Adafruit Multi-Channel 16 Servo Controller Driver Board for Arduino PIC and feeder is there....
Mike
Attachments
SMT Feeder DIY - YouTube.jpg
SMT Feeder DIY - YouTube.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
Michael_N

Post by Michael_N »

Damn simple:)
But as for now, the Liteplacer software is not capable of handling this kind of feeders?
what I mean is that the software dont expect that the components is feeded forwards. Right?

Kind regards
Michael
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

You can set up a custom tape with fixed pickup location (no need for optical processing) and 0 pitch (causing pickup from the same position each time). So yes, the software supports feeders. What it doesn't support is to command a feeder, but it would be straight forward addition. (No idea how to do that if people have different kinds of feeders that each needs their own command, though.)

As for this feeder in particular, very cleverly simple! I'm impressed. Now, how to peel the cover tape as easily?