TinyG USB goes on and off if I move an axis by hand

Pixopax

TinyG USB goes on and off if I move an axis by hand

Post by Pixopax »

I placed a few boards today and hat several connection errors, in the middle of the placement it hanged.

Now I foundout that as as soon as I move an axis by hand the USB connection sound of Windows goes off. There seems to get current from the mototrs to the USB connector. I am not sure, but that seems to be the case.
I did not have that before.

Does anyone know how I can prevent that?
mawa

Re: TinyG USB goes on and off if I move an axis by hand

Post by mawa »

Stepper motors are very good generators and if you turn them too fast you can produce high voltages that can eventually destroy your TinyG.

Some drivers have protection circuit.

I don't know if the ones used in tinyG have such a protection. If you look at the board while you move the stepper you can notice the leds lighting up. So the electricity gets to the board. :twisted:

So, don't turn the stepper by hand. If you can't avoid it, then do it very... very... slow. ;)
best regards
Manfred
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Although not certain (I’ve read the data sheet but didn’t get a good answer), it seems that TinyG tolerates this. Still, if started to get hiccups, something went wrong. Grounding, perhaps?
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

I now grounded all metal parts of the machine itself, and will see if it gets better today, I have to place the other side of the boards.
Pixopax

Post by Pixopax »

I just checked your post about the USB camera problems, and downloaded the tool showing all usb connections. I found out that I have 2 hubs on my system, both cams and the TinyG were all on one hub.
Now I can connect the cameras on each hub, that would make my connection problems better I guess.
Tomorrow is placement day again, we will see :-)

Louis

PS: I placed some 300 boards with your liteplacer now, it still works good. It needs some afterwork sometimes, but that is ok.
The tousands of Cs and Rs which I do not have to place by hand now pay for that :-)
But to be fair, I have other cameras, use a complete other layout, board in the middle, tapes left and right from it, and use an other software (the rmod-fork) which is vastly reprogrammed to suit my needs.
It can manage panels, and has also QFN-detection, but does not use the up cam.