Software and OS

mshaffer

Software and OS

Post by mshaffer »

Is your software a fork of OpenPNP?

You mention "windows" only. Why? Is it capable of running on Debian Linux?
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Software and OS

Post by JuKu »

it is not a fork of OpenPnP. It is a custom software, written in C# and .NET; I support it under Windows only.

It might be possible to run it under Linux (Disclaimer: I might recognize Linux when I see it, but my Linux knowledge is about that. So, the following is purely heresay, I don't know what I'm talking about): There is something called mono, that is supposed to run windows application. Also, I'm told that there is a way to compile a C# .NET application to Linux, but as far as I know, no one has done that for LitePlacer software.
MrPix

Post by MrPix »

LitePlacer software installs and runs on the current MacOS under Windows 10 Pro on Parallels 15. I don't have a LitePlacer, but if I did, it looks like everything would work normally.
JuKu
Site Admin

Post by JuKu »

Thank you for reporting this. The software is not very demanding for the OS, or go deep under the hood. It uses two webcams (and not at the same time, if so configured) and a USB serial port. Otherwise just standard file, keyboard and display access.
Dloranger

Post by Dloranger »

I know this question is difficult to answer, but I would like to know what you would expect the minimum PC requriements would be.

I have a gen 1 i5 (single core) laptop with 4GB of ram running windows 10 pro. The liteplacer software generally seems to run okay, but I am having frequent loss of camera feed (to the UI at least). Going back to the camera setup page and hitting "select" restores the feed. Trying to determine if this machine is just too old to meet the demands or if this is something else. Can you guestimate on anything else that might be negatively affected by this age limited hardware.
AnalysIR

Post by AnalysIR »

- make sure your USB ports are configured as USB 2 high-speed in the BIOS. (I noticed on an old laptop of mine recently that they were configured for slower/legacy USB in the BIOS)

- You could also try booting in SAFE mode without networking for using LP. Safe mode only loads essential processes and may(?) give you better performance for standalone LP use.

- You could also try setting the priority of the LP task higher in the task manager (Details tab).

- If all else fails try installing the original windows OS, which may be more suited to 4GB of RAM.

- You may see better results by plugging your cameras into different USB ports on your laptop (front/back/side etc)

In general, your config sounds minimal for WIN10.

PS: I am running LP on a used i5-4590 with lots of RAM & WIN10, bought cheaply for this purpose - no obvious performance issues.
All about IR remote Control. Webshop: https://www.AnalysIR.com/blog/
Check out our LitePlacer Trinamic/TMC2209 TinyG Stepper upgrade kit: https://www.tindie.com/products/analysi ... r-openpnp/