Is OpenPNP supported?

blackrock

Is OpenPNP supported?

Post by blackrock »

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a LitePlacer, and the issue of the software it runs is the only remaining problem. Is OpenPNP actually 'supported' on this machine. I've looked at the front page for the LP and it says it is, but when I look at the forum and the OpenPNP threads it isn't so clear. At the end of the largest thread it actually says consider whether moving to OpenPNP is the thing to do as there are problems I assume. For me, I have no Windows machines and I won't be getting any so if OpenPNP doesn't work then that's that. I'm quite happy modifying code and hardware if a bit of fiddling is needed, but if it fundamentally doesn't work then that's different. I see that there are people running OpenPNP, but in a forum you only really hear about problems, not things that work. Could we have a sort of status page somewhere that lists what does and doesn't work, or issues?

Andrew
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Is OpenPNP supported?

Post by JuKu »

First, I don’t use OpenPnP, so I’m just repeating what I’m told. OpenPnP can be used, I have customers doing just that. The machine works; the only issue is that my software and OpenPnP have Z axis direction opposite. Because of this, some people have installed a polarity change switch, so they can use both softwares.

It is not supported in the sense that I am unable to answer questions about OpenPnP.

OpenPnP folks don’t like TinyG controller board. That is why I sell the machine without the TinyG board.

I hope others with more experience will chime in.
blackrock

Post by blackrock »

Ah, ok that makes sense and matches parts of the forum threads I saw.
Hmm, I do like the TinyG and have used it in a couple of my CNC machine builds. I'll have to check and see what openPNP doesn't like.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Andrew
infinitemach

Post by infinitemach »

A late reply.

I'm using my LitePlacer with OpenPnP and the TinyG controller. It is working fine. OpenPnP is a complex beast, but once you get it configured correctly it's great. The TinyG will need a firmware update to work properly with OpenPnp to address some commands that OpenPnP requires and an issue with Z probing where the spindle is turned, which is the vacuum on the Liteplacer, off when Z probing.