Rename Cameras

Vivid RGB Lighting

Rename Cameras

Post by Vivid RGB Lighting »

Not sure if this was covered on the forums, a search for "camera" returned too many results.

But there is a way to rename your cameras so you can figure out which one is which. You have to edit it in the registry though.**

First you have to find the camera IDs.
  • Go to the hardware manager and look at the properties for one of the cameras.
    Go to the details tab.
    Select "Hardware Ids" from the drop down list.
You can then search the Registry for that ID, and some of those entries have "FriendlyName" String Values that can be changed.

NOTE: The FriendlyNames are Linked to BOTH the Camera device & the USB hub you are plugged into - so if you change the port the camera is plugged into, it may create a new entry with the default values.
As far as I have been able to tell, you can plug and unplug the camera from the same HUB and it will re-use the friendlyname. The first time I configured both cameras were using the same USB HUB, but in order to use the fast camera switching, I moved the UP camera, which now has two entries in the registry.

Open the Registry Editor and search for the hardware ID string you found above.
You are looking for the FriendlyName Values.
You should find entries in the following 4 places:

One of these three entries changes the name displayed in LitePlacer:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\ [some keyname] \ ##?#USB# [your device id] \#GLOBAL\Device Parameters \ FriendlyName

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\ [different keyname] \ ##?#USB# [your device id] \#GLOBAL\Device Parameters \ FriendlyName

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\FrameServer\SensorGroups\ [some keyname] \ SensorGroupFriendlyName
Change the FriendlyName to be what you want - I used "DOWN Camera" & "UP Camera"

And this one changes the name in the Hardware Manager List:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\ [your device id] \ FriendlyName
I used "DOWN Camera - USB" in order to know that this was the Hardware Manager Name - you could probably make it the same as above.

It really makes using the cameras much easier!

Good luck..

**I shouldn't have to say it, but be sure to backup your registry before making any edits... Or run a create a system restore point, so you can just go back to it.

Sepp.