Sort parts by lotcode

RinusDamen

Sort parts by lotcode

Post by RinusDamen »

Hi all,

I am currently facing a problem;
For a project i need to use one single lotcode, unfortunately TI puts more then one lotcode on a reel of parts, even randomly. So parts need to be sorted; check lotcode, picked out of the tape, checked (group) and placed in a tray (because re-taping in more difficult).
After this a proffesional P&P will handle the parts.
So here is the challenge which i think our liteplacer can handle this request:
Is it possible to write a script which looks at the print on the part in the tape, and place it depending on its lotcode in a smd tray?
The result should be one or more trays with the same lotcode.
I already see some challenges:
1. incrementing reel position, i think the most easy way is to check and pick the part at one known pos, and move the tape to the next
2. Recognition of the part's print (sometimes only 1 character changes)
3. Create 'group' for every new part (can be up to 5 per reel according information of TI, until now i've seen 3 diff per reel)
4. Place the part on the tray incremental (corresponding part's group position)

Parts's shape is 40 pin QFN

Is there anyone from our software experts able to write this for the liteplacer?
This will save a lot of time and prevent human mistakes.

Thanks in advance for the reply / thoughts
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Sort parts by lotcode

Post by JuKu »

> Is it possible to write a script which looks at the print on the part in the tape, and place it depending on its lotcode in a smd tray?

The software is not scriptable as it is, but otherwise, it cold be a doable custom mod. Your requirement is almost a basic pick and place job, just the target location is calculated run time:

1. incrementing reel position, i think the most easy way is to check and pick the part at one known pos, and move the tape to the next

Should work as is?

2. Recognition of the part's print (sometimes only 1 character changes)

The most challenging part. This is probably not worth doing unless you have tens of thousands of parts to sort (or can find a student in need of a thesis work). Instead, make the software so that shows the image of the part and asks the user the tray to put it.

3. Create 'group' for every new part (can be up to 5 per reel according information of TI, until now i've seen 3 diff per reel)
4. Place the part on the tray incremental (corresponding part's group position)

Trivial.

> This will save a lot of time and prevent human mistakes.

I'm afraid there will be a human involved, see 2.
RinusDamen

Re: Sort parts by lotcode

Post by RinusDamen »

Hello Juha,

Thanks for the quick reply.
Indeed i need to sort 800-1000 parts, that's why i wanted to use my liteplacer and eliminate human resources.
After all maybe it's better to leave this job to the proffesionals and their P&P equipment. I was just wondering if we could do this job ourselfs. Maybe i was to optimistic.

Thanks for you thoughts!