Limit switches, movements and reset

Mark81

Limit switches, movements and reset

Post by Mark81 »

Hi!
Especially during setup and calibration it could happen to jog the machine outside the allowed limits. You pressed the wrong key or because staring at the cam you didn't aware where the nozzle was.
The software actually allows you to jog there! Then once the limit switch is hit you have to reset the TinyG, reconnect, perform homing and continue what you were doing. But sometimes it isn't enough. Example: if you started the Nozzle Setup and a limit switch is hit, after reconnection the information message in the Nozzle Setup is hidden but the software still wait for you at the current step! So you have to restart LitePlacer.

Any cnc machine I've used didn't allow you to jog outside the range of the machine. If this happens (i.e. your motors loose some steps) you should just hit a "clear error" button and re-homing the machine, without the need to reset the hardware and reconnect to the controller board!

Perhaps this features are already there and I can't see them!
Otherwise, do you think they could be implemented in a next release?
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Limit switches, movements and reset

Post by JuKu »

I'll see about limiting the jogging movement. Internally, it is done by "move to this direction until stop command", so it might be a bit tricky. A clear error button on software is not coming: TinyG considers limit switch hit a serious situation that needs operator involvement (fair enough: it is built for CNC application, normally with heavier machines and spinning blades). My solution was to wire a big red button to an easy to reach position.
Mark81

Re: Limit switches, movements and reset

Post by Mark81 »

JuKu wrote:I'll see about limiting the jogging movement. Internally, it is done by "move to this direction until stop command", so it might be a bit tricky.
Perhaps it's worth to check the limits before accept the jogging command?
I've just downloaded and compiled the software, I'm going to play a bit with this and other features and then share with you something (if suitable!).
A clear error button on software is not coming: TinyG considers limit switch hit a serious situation that needs operator involvement (fair enough: it is built for CNC application, normally with heavier machines and spinning blades). My solution was to wire a big red button to an easy to reach position.
Got it.
The big-red-button is already at my side :lol: