Double side pcb

Edje11

Double side pcb

Post by Edje11 »

Nice machine, trying to convince my boss we need one ;-)
What about double side pcb's?
When doing it by hand i'm placing one side first, solder it in the oven.
After that i place some stand offs and place the components on the other side and going back in the oven again.

Can the Liteplacer handle the double sided pcb's, eventually with standoffs.

Me doing doublesided pcb by hand: https://youtu.be/0C6TB3l6c1Q (placing standoffs at 2:31)
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Double side pcb

Post by JuKu »

> What about double side pcb's?

The software supports that. However, the standoffs might require some fine tuning. First: Using standoffs is a very sensible idea, and something I want to support. But still, those might pose issues. Although part pickup and placement height are measured dynamically, the calibration relies on the set PCB height. Your standoffs are not very high, but there might be effects still.

Issue 1: The system currently supports only one setup/calibration file, but adding support for unlimited, named setup/calibration files should be easy. However, you would still need to run some calibration steps twice.

Issue 2: Using standoffs, placement of the PCB will not be as easy as using a jig with a single sided board. Off-hand, I donät have a very good idea about how to make this easy and reliable; perhaps some vision based routine would work (aling standoffs to the jig, go to where machine thinks the corner of the board is, click with a mouse where the board corner actually is)?

If you want to go with this, with your co-operation, I will make it work nicely. Still, expect some guinea pig experiences. :-)