Upgrade Suggestions

Jay98

Upgrade Suggestions

Post by Jay98 »

Hello!

I am very impressed with the design and performance of this low cost machine. Im thinking of upgrading it further to improve the accuracy, do you have any suggestions on where to start?
I was thinking of changing the cables to steel chains, using better motors, etc. Would appreciate your advice and feedback!

Regards.
JuKu
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Suggestions

Post by JuKu »

Here is a list of ideas. (I might be working on some or all of these already... ;) )

-Super high resolution cameras: I would like to find a camera that has sub-1um real world pixel size with wide enough field of vision to see a 100+ pin package at one go with minimal lens distortion.
-Faster control board: If the step rate can be increased, the machine could be faster or potentially more accurate with same speed (finer microstepping) or both
-Servo motors (such as Odrive) with true position encoders, measuring the true position of the gantry, not the motor shaft position. Using Odrive needs redoing the mechanics, 6mm belts are not strong enough.
-and if redoing the mechanics, using linear guides.

Changing stepper motors will not improve the machine, I've tried that. The current motors can use all the performance that the TInyG board gives.
Jay98

Post by Jay98 »

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I will look into them in more detail and decide where to start. :D
wormball

Post by wormball »

JuKu wrote:Changing stepper motors will not improve the machine, I've tried that. The current motors can use all the performance that the TInyG board gives.
I tried 1.8 degree motors and got about twofold speed increase without any visible precision loss. https://liteplacer.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 6142#p9379
Kylra

Post by Kylra »

Glass scales are also an option for accuracy.