Better TinyG Board: Feature Requests?

Kylra

Better TinyG Board: Feature Requests?

Post by Kylra »

Hello,

I am using the TinyG board and activated the ADC on pin SS2 for Vacuum sensing and SS1 as GPIO.

But the TinyG has some design flaws like no fuses, no I2C, 12V linear regulator.

So I will design a better board based on the TinyG with:

isolated USB
temperature sensor
DRV8825 (32 µsteps) or DRV8711 (256 µsteps)
SPI
I2C
more GPIOs (two 24V output)

If you have some feature requests write it.
Kylra

Re: Better TinyG Board: Feature Requests?

Post by Kylra »

I think four Trinamic TMC5130 drivers are better.

https://www.trinamic.com/products/integ ... c5130a-ta/
Kylra

Post by Kylra »

An Update:

the new Board "TinyK" (yet schematic, over 300 parts) has

24V power input

XMega192A3U MCU

optically isolated USB input, 3kV, ADUM142E0BRQZ

four TMC5130 motor controller and driver with driver protection and EME circuitry on all outputs
for each an ABN rotary encoder input and min max end switch transient protection
seperate power input, max 46V

four power outputs, 3,3V, 5V, 12V and 24V selectable, PWM capable

one onboard vacuum sensor MPXV6115VC6U

one I2C

one SPI

one fan output
Oaklands

Post by Oaklands »

Some minor comments & feedback:

- I am not sure of the thinking that went into the 8-bit MCU choice. I would have thought a 32 bit Arm (or equivalent) would be a mandatory choice for any new designs. Both faster & cheaper(tbc?).
- A 32 bit MCU would give better chance of leveraging future evolving 'open' code bases on CNC/3D/PnP platforms etc. In future, I suspect there will be little interest in or uptake of new 8-bit boards for this market.
- I would also try to come up with a more unique name, so as not to overlap/confuse with the TinyG family.
- Other things to consider is the option of additional motor drivers for 2 or more PnP heads. Support for DIY feeders via UARTs, SPI, I2C or GPIO signals. (all that might be feasible via an SPI or I2C Header linked to an optional set of external add-on modules)

Example: the SKR v1.3 is <$20 delivered from China without the plug in drivers. However, it has lots of IO and anything it doesn't have Should be possible via external add ons. If I was going down this route I would at a minimum prototype with something like this and only then if required design a new board from scratch. Remember it is likely that someone else will launch a new high end 32-bit board every few months.

If you are not doing this for commercial resale...then of course jump right in & go for it
Kylra

Post by Kylra »

Thanks,

it will be an 32 bit ARM MCU.
Kylra

Post by Kylra »

Further information is under https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... Zqqyfjanco.

Kylra